We have now filled all the slots for the internship. Thanks to everyone who applied!
Our lovely back end team is looking for fresh meat. Specifically Java programming students that want to work with huge datasets and clusters of yellow elephants. So if you are interested in hanging out in East London and getting your hands dirty hacking some of the most exciting music-related software on the ‘net, then read on for more information on our summer internship programme.
You’ll be spending your days bathing in the ball pit and getting back rubs from our support department. Occasionally we’ll ask you to do some work too, for example developing new features for the open source projects below or improving our own internal systems. You will be mentored by experienced Last fm developers and stand to learn loads about making the software that is used daily by millions of people across the globe.
Potential areas to work in:
- The open source distributed data processing project Apache Hadoop.
- The distributed data storage project Apache HBase.
- Processing our listening data into interesting funky stuff we can use on the site.
- Improving the Java support in (soon to be Apache) Thrift.
- Using X-Trace to find and resolve bottlenecks in our distributed systems.
- We’re also open for student suggestions! If it’s useful and/or cool, include any ideas you may have in your application.
If you’re allowed to work in the UK please e-mail your applications including a CV to email@example.com, put “java summer intern” in the subject line. The internship will last for the coming summer (we are quite flexible with the exact dates). If things go really well, you might even end up joining our team when your studies are over.
More information on our jobs page.